Weighted blankets are becoming increasingly popular among people of all ages. These blankets provide a variety of benefits, including improved sleep quality and reduced stress and anxiety levels. But when it comes to choosing the right size weighted blanket, there are several factors to consider. In this article, we’ll explore the science behind weighted blankets and provide a guide to help you select the perfect size for your needs.
Exploring the Science Behind Weighted Blankets
Weighted blankets are designed to be heavier than regular blankets, typically ranging from 5 to 30 pounds. The extra weight is meant to provide a sense of security and comfort that helps reduce stress and anxiety levels. But what is the ideal weight for a weighted blanket?
According to experts, the best weight for a weighted blanket depends on the individual. Generally, it’s recommended to select a blanket that’s 10% of your body weight. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, a 15-pound blanket would be ideal. However, some people may find that a slightly lighter or heavier blanket works better for them.
In addition to the ideal weight, it’s also important to consider how different sizes of weighted blankets affect stress and anxiety levels. Studies have shown that using a weighted blanket can reduce cortisol levels and increase serotonin and melatonin production, both of which are associated with improved mood and relaxation. However, the effects vary depending on the size of the blanket.
For instance, a study conducted by the University of Massachusetts Medical School found that participants who used a 10-pound blanket reported feeling calmer and more relaxed than those who used a 15-pound blanket. So, the size of the blanket does make a difference when it comes to reducing stress and anxiety levels.
A Guide to Choosing the Right Weighted Blanket
Now that you have an understanding of the science behind weighted blankets, let’s look at some factors to consider when selecting the right size for your needs. Here are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for a weighted blanket:
- Your weight: As mentioned above, the ideal weight for a weighted blanket should be around 10% of your body weight. However, you may need to experiment with different weights to find the one that works best for you.
- The material: Weighted blankets are usually made from cotton, polyester, or bamboo. Each material has its own pros and cons, so consider which one will work best for you.
- The size: Weighted blankets come in many different sizes, ranging from twin to king. Consider which size will fit your bed and provide the most coverage.
Now let’s take a look at the pros and cons of different sizes of weighted blankets:
- Twin size: Twin size weighted blankets are great for kids or those who prefer a lighter blanket. They’re typically smaller and easier to move around, making them a great choice for travel. The downside is that they may not provide enough coverage for some people.
- Full size: Full size weighted blankets are a great option for those who like a heavier blanket. They provide more coverage and are usually available in larger weights. The downside is that they can be bulky and difficult to move around.
- Queen size: Queen size weighted blankets are a great choice for those who want a medium-weight blanket. They provide plenty of coverage and are usually available in a wide range of weights. The downside is that they may be too heavy for some people.
- King size: King size weighted blankets are the heaviest and most expensive option. They provide the most coverage and are available in a wide range of weights. The downside is that they can be very bulky and difficult to move around.
Weighted blankets can provide a variety of benefits, including improved sleep quality and reduced stress and anxiety levels. When selecting the right size weighted blanket, it’s important to consider your weight, the material, and the size. Different sizes offer different pros and cons, so it’s important to choose the one that works best for you. Finally, remember to experiment with different weights to find the one that works best for you.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to find the perfect size weighted blanket for your needs. With the right weighted blanket, you’ll be able to enjoy a better night’s sleep and improved overall wellbeing.